About Me

My photo
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Friday, July 24, 2009

My First Attempt

Recently someone put the question to me “does the music we listen to say something about us as individuals or is it just a random like/dislike kind of thing. I thought about this for a while before answering. In fact, as I lay in bed that night reading my second boring book in a row, it came to me that the same question could be asked about books. What does our choice of reading material say about us – if anything? Being the avid reader that I am, this question totally derailed the original music question and I have been thinking about books and how they affect me ever since.
I consider myself to be a “Christian”. That is, one who follows (or at least tries to follow) Christ. I believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour and a triune God. That being said, how do I justify my choice of reading material? As a rule, I read only for enjoyment. Reading is an escape for me. My life is totally uninspired and lifeless and books help fill a gap for me. So....how do I choose what to read? I enjoy gratuitous violence in books. I enjoy gratuitous sex in books. Does this make me a “bad Christian”? Is there a place in society for these types of books or should I be avoiding them as the “trash” they really are. (“trash” is a word I usually use to describe any work of literature that is not meant for “learning” purposes. ie: any given novel) Further, are they worse (or arguably better) trash because of the sex and/or violence?
I caught a lot of flack from many Christian friends when I read The DaVinci Code and Harry Potter and admitted to thoroughly enjoying them. Was the outrage of my friends justified? Should I not be reading such books? Are they in fact tools of the devil or harmful to my soul in ways that I can't quite understand? Or are they simply wonderfully written works of fiction that I could lose myself in for a bit. (as is my personal belief).
These and many other questions have arisen since I started actively thinking about what I read, (it's also possible that I simply have way too much time on my hands) so I decided to put some of these questions out there and see if anyone else has ideas about books and why they read what they read.
I've decided to start off by continuing (for now at least) with the book I am now being bored with and see what happens. It is one of my “trashy novels” called Pot of Gold by Judith Michael. A major piece of fluff to say the least. I will keep you updated on the book and whether or not it gets any better, whether I finally give up in disgust and put the book down or simply push on and finish the darn thing and pick up the next escape route.
I would like to encourage you to share your thoughts about books, authors, writing genres, and anything else literary that you may think of. I am especially interested right now in your thoughts as to why I am persevering with this piece of boredom I am using as a sleep aid right now.
Answers to the above questions could spark some interesting conversations I think, so please feel free to offer opinions on those as well.
Most of all, please bear in mind that I am totally new to this and am not a seasoned blogger or writer of any sort, so bear with me.
I have listed below a few of my favorite authors (as you will see, Judith Michael is not among them) so you will probably gain a little insight as to what kind of novels I enjoy. If you think there is an author out there that I might enjoy and his/her name is not on the list, please suggest it! I am always on the lookout for new authors to read.
Beyond all that folks.............read on...........




Favorite Authors:

James Patterson
Steve Berry
Robert Ludlum
Ken Follett
Robin Cook
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Barbara Taylor Bradford
Judith Krantz
Andrew Greeley
Jeffrey Archer




Five Favorite Books (in no particular order):

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke
Little Women by Lousia May Alcott
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

12 comments:

  1. Check out this author.

    Sarah Dunant, she wrote "Sacred Hearts" and "The Birth of Venus". I Don't know if there good but I was thinking we might like them.

    I love your blog. I will be a frequent Commentator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I have to go to the library tomorrow so I'll look for these authors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your question, what do books say about us? I think books can be reflective of the things we thoroughly enjoy. And why shouldn't they be? Clearly if it does not encapsulate the things you enjoy most, it won't be nearly as enjoyable.

    For instance, your love of Dan Brown doesn't really speak volumes about your religious preferences but rather your love for history, and art and literature itself. What people don't realize is while the Da Vinci code may be riddled with many falsehoods, its accuracy in things other then religious connotations are quite fulfilling for people who love art and history.

    That you are able to separate fact from fiction within that novel speaks volumes about the strength of your beliefs. Other people don't understand that. That regardless of the books intentions, your beliefs are not alterable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I don't get is why read a book that is boring? Although sleep aid is not a bad reason. I'm all for a good sleep now and then, almost as good as a good book! Of course, books tell us about those who love them, just like any other preference does. But, to my mind, more importantly, what do those books say to you about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, you amaze me constantly! Your insight is dead on and I appreciate the fact that you understand me so well! I love you for that. The way you express yourself is inspiring.

    Nikki, it would seem that the $24,000 question is indeed "why am I reading a boring book"? Perhaps I don't want to be defeated by a mere book? Perhaps I'm waiting for it to get to the good part (that happens occasionally)? I really don't know and THAT is precisely what sparked this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the blog Rachel. Great opening post.
    As for reading a book you find boring, might I suggest that sometimes it's easier to keep reading it that to attempt to find an alternative. Often, the times that I need a book the most are also the times that the mere task of going through the selves to pick one is beyond me. I am more likely to pick up the one that is sitting on the table pleading with me to give it one more chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's about the most likely suggestion I've heard yet Kris. That being said, I think I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. We'll see what happens through the rest of today and this evening.I really don't feel up to reading anything "deep", nor do I feel like looking for something "good". I'll keep you posted on what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At the risk of slanting this blog to a “Christian” rather than reading nature, may I suggest the following two verses for your consideration when debating the topic of whether some books are “good” and some “evil” or “of the devil”.
    Titus 1:15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.
    Romans 14:14 I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that [there is] nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him [it is] unclean.
    If something is potentially damaging to you due to your unique situation, God knows it and is able, by his Spirit to convey that to you. If you live your life in an attitude of outreach to God to supply not only your physical needs but also your will, intent and ability to do, He WILL lead you. Philippians 2:13 reads: For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
    The whole issue of what is good and what is evil stems back to the original sin. Some wish to continually chew on that carnal corn (the fruit of the tree of knowlege of good and evil)rather than getting down to the business of a personal relationship with God, one grounded in faith and trust that He will honor our prayer that He keep us from the evil one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the many purposes of this blog is to hopefully spark conversation Krista. To that end, your comment is not only welcome but well said! It certainly puts things into perspective (at least for me) and gives one much to think about. And what better conversation than God?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do keep writing, Rachel... you are always so good at putting pen to paper or keyboard to cyberspace, as the case may be.
    gj

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much G. Coming from you, that means much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, I am so into this blog, and this topic, because I am a lover of books. I'm going to be back after I ponder what reading means to me! Glad I finally got to visit here. :D

    I'll be back ;)

    ReplyDelete